what you will need to drive a rented vehicle abroad

Driving abroad in a rented vehicle

If you want to drive a rented vehicle abroad, you need a valid driver’s license issued in Great Britain or Northern Ireland. For this reason, most drivers will need a valid photocard driver’s license. Some exceptions may apply with paper-only licenses which were issued before March 2000. If you have a paper-only license, make sure you check its valid to use in your country of destination.#

Driving abroad basics

PSD vehicle rental issues the VE103 certificate which allows you to drive in Europe. At the same time, PSD also charges for the additional mileage. This is the only extra charge when compared to UK vehicle hire. If you are looking to drive the scenic French roads or go on a full European adventure, you will only need to pay the additional mileage.

Driving in Ireland

A valid driver’s license is needed to drive in Ireland. Since there are a few commonalities between Ireland and UK road laws, you may be banned from driving in the UK if you are banned to drive in Ireland. Make sure you abide by local laws while driving outside the UK.

Driving in Europe

You can drive in all European countries with a valid UK driver’s license. But you still need to abide by local driving laws in the process. So if you are caught speeding in Germany or Italy, local authorities might get your details from the DVLA to issue a fine. For more information about driving in Europe, feel free to check motoring organizations such as the AA or the RAC.

Driving in Europe without a Brexit deal

Driving in Europe after Brexit is still being debated. However, in case of a no-deal Brexit, you will need to purchase an international driver’s permit at a cost of £5.50. You can find such a permit at your local post office.

Driving outside the EU and EEA

If you plan to travel outside the EU or the European Economic Area, you may need to purchase an international driver’s permit. You can check your country of destination and its requirements on the AA website.

Driving abroad is not complicated. PSD Vehicle Rental only requires you to pay for the extra miles. Other steps such as an international driver’s permit need to be purchased individually. The best advice when driving abroad is to prepare in advance even with issues such as road tax, especially if you plan to drive on motorways.